Music Hall Trio CD Receiver: repair & review

Repairs

There were a few things to fix on this CD Receiver…

  • CD tray won’t open
  • One channel no sound
  • Speaker terminals of output B removed/broken off
  • Source knob is wobbly, shaft could be bent
  • Whatever else happens…

CD Tray won’t open

This one is very obvious for everyone with a bit of experience in audio repair. Just replace the cd-drawer belt with a new one. On to the next issue.

One channel no sound

Although the seller told me that there was no sound on one channel, I did not directly experienced this… More on this later in this post.

Speaker terminals of output B removed/broken off

One picture says more than 1000 words, so…

Where are those terminals gone?

Let’s start with removing that part from the unit.

Luckily after digging around in my used spare parts storage boxes I found something very similar…

Left the “new” (reused) set terminals.

All I had to do is to remove a few extra solder points that connected the screws to the PCB, which wasn’t there in the Music Hall version. Although the terminals were just screwed out of the original and not broken off, I couldn’t just screw a few the other ones in.
I couldn’t remove the red/black screw terminals because the end of the thread were squeezed flat.
Now that’s done, let’s move on to the next issue.

Source knob is wobbly, shaft could be bent

First remove and disassemble the front plate.

Then, remove the display PCB.

There isn’t really anything to do about this other then just replace it… So I ordered a new one and put it in.

Reassemble and test it!

That should be it! I’ve put it all together for a good test.

Let’s test….

Whatever happens next…

During test I discovered that there was a difference in volume between the left and right channel.
I did some further testing and found out that it only happened on the A terminals, not on the B-terminals… So that should be a faulty relay.
The seller told me that there was no sound from one channel, that was probable caused by this very same relay.

This was the culprit, bad contacts on the relay.

Some used to remove the cover of a relay and clean the contacts with contact cleaner or even a piece of sandpaper. In devices like this, I think that shouldn’t be done… for a part that is only a few euros. For relays that are very expensive or not available anymore, it’s another thing.

Finished!

Ready for another decade of high quality music!

Final thoughts

I still haven made up my mind if I should resell this item or make place on a shelf above my workbench… I think the 22AH209/309 will sell a lot quicker, but will probably require a revision/recap. The Grundig CD-909 will not be sold any time soon! Maybe a good starting point for another project: modifications… 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *